The Greater Akron Chamber's Micro-Internship program provides Greater Akron businesses with opportunities to engage college students or recent grads on short-term, paid, professional projects. Beyond the on-demand support, this also helps companies identify, engage, and assess potential hires.
Through these projects, you can connect with local students and recent grads or you can work remotely with a student across the country. Students are highly motivated to gain valuable, paid, professional experiences to help launch their careers.
Best of all, the cost of these Micro-Internships are subsidized by the Greater Akron Chamber for their members - up to $250 for your first project!
How it Works
These paid projects can be posted year-round, typically requiring 10-40 hours of work and a specific deliverable.
Access diverse talent from over 5,000 schools. You will only receive an invoice once you select your Micro-Intern, and The Greater Akron Chamber will cover up to $250 for members' first projects!
Engage with the Micro-Intern in whatever way works best for you, while Parker Dewey handles all admin!
Post popular projects or customize your own!
Creating a quality social media content calendar is time consuming. Give an eager student the opportunity to develop it for you.
Engage a student to help you draft a series of emails to help promote an upcoming initiative.
Leverage a student or recent graduate’s attention to detail to identify key drivers of success or failure within your market.
Do you have openings to fill and are struggling to find the right candidates? Let a college student do some of the legwork for you.
A college student or research grad can do the research to help you identify new leads so you can focus on other priorities.
Get help from college students and recent grads to review, update, and correct your database records while you move on to more pressing tasks.
When you have content ideas but no time for the first pass, look to the research and writing skills of college students.
These tips will help you define project deliverables in a way that is understandable and appealing to students.
Learn more about how Micro-Internships allow you to easily engage with early career talent.
Frequently Asked Questions
A Micro-Internship is a short-term project that can typically be completed within 10-40 hours and is due within a few days to a few weeks. These projects require no on-boarding and can be completed by a college student with minimal instruction. These are important but low-risk tasks that aren’t the best use of your time.
You set the price for each project. All projects are fixed-fee, and most are listed between $200-$600, typically implying $20 - 25 per hour based on estimated hours of work. 90% of this fee goes directly to the Micro-Intern, and there are no obligations or other fees even if the relationship turns into an internship or full-time role.
All Greater Akron Chamber members receive up to $250 for your first Micro-Internship while funding is available. If your project exceeds this amount (approximately 15 hours of work), you will receive an invoice for the difference once you select a Micro-Intern for your project.
In short, it’s easy as Parker Dewey handles it all. No HR burdens. No conversion fees. No questions about ownership or worries about confidentiality.
- Employment: Micro-Interns are not your employees, contractors, interns, temps, or freelancers. Similar to working with a consulting firm or any other service provider, you are engaging Parker Dewey LLC to complete the assignment, and each individual you select is a contractor or employee of Parker Dewey. You can still directly interact with them as much or little as you would like, and always have the opportunity to hire them directly without any costs or fees.
- Liability: We’re mission-driven and believe in the power of creating opportunities. That said, we take on all the liability. Not happy with the work product? We’ll give you a full refund or find an alternate Career Launcher.
- Work Product: All work product is owned by you.
- Confidentiality: While most projects involve public-facing information of a non-sensitive nature, both Parker Dewey and all Career Launchers sign strict NDAs to protect your information. In addition to the standard provisions, the students understand that they are risking their academic transcript or expulsion for any violation of confidentiality.
- Background Checks: Given the short-term nature and structure of these assignments, we do not conduct background checks. While companies are always welcome to conduct a background check directly, the nature of the specific assignments and lack of a direct relationship with the individual who is selected has caused most organizations to defer the background check until after a Micro-Internship is completed and a student is offered a traditional internship or full-time role.
Micro-Internships are not meant to replace traditional internship programs but rather complement and even supplement them. Due to their short-term nature, Micro-Internships can be used year-round to find on-demand project support while simultaneously allowing you to engage and evaluate potential talent.
Micro-Internships can be either on-site or virtual, depending on the specific requirements of the project. We typically suggest remote, as this provides more flexibility and accessibility.
The project manager will be a member of your team, whether that be a hiring manager, team lead, or another employee. At the start of the project, they will clarify specific expectations and share the information/materials necessary for your Micro-Intern to complete the project. From there, they can engage the student in whatever way works best, whether that be email, Zoom, etc. Because Career Launchers on Parker Dewey have core skills and are highly motivated to exceed expectations, they require minimal management.
Our Client Program team is dedicated to making sure that it's as easy to hire one Micro-Intern as it is to hire 100. Contact us to learn more about Micro-Internship programs.
Still Have Questions?
Parker Dewey is happy to set up a time to discuss your unique recruiting or on-demand project needs. To connect with our team, please complete the form.